About Pat Dougherty
Pat Dougherty oversees the Academy’s “Match Simulation” training component on-court and presents on a daily basis in our “War Room”, where students explore the world of competitive strategy, gain an understanding of Tour level technique and analyze their match play on video. Built on his very successful “A.P. Belt Tennis Training System”, Pat has designed a state-of-the- art Core Movement Training program that teaches students how to become a “movement specialist” and better athlete on the tennis court. Also known as the "Serve Doctor" around IMG Academy, Pat contributes his expertise to both the full and short time programs.
He has developed the "Hi-Tech" program which was an all-encompassing, video-intensive learning experience where students like Andre Agassi, Jim Courier, Monica Seles and countless more, were able to explore every fundamental aspect of tennis. Dougherty also received a patent in 1990 for his Athletic Performance Belt, a training device that tennis commentator Mary Carillo referred to as “a major breakthrough for developing tennis athletes”.
- Released his first title in the Serve Doctor DVD series, “M.P.H.”, which showcases Nicole Vaidisova and many other rising stars
- Frequent contributor to Tennis.com, Tennisplayer.net, Tennisone.com, Prince Plugged in and Prince.com
- Featured in Tennis Magazine
- Developed the AP Belt training system currently used by dozens of top NCAA Division I tennis teams such as: Florida, LSU, Kentucky, USC, Pepperdine, Ohio State, Clemson, Indiana, Louisville, N.C. State, Boise State, Tennessee and many more
- Developed the first off-court “Hi-Tech” program
- Written and produced over 25 tennis instructional video productions including Killer Forehand and Sonic Serves which can be seen on the Tennis Channel and networks throughout the world
- Hired by Gatorade to write and produce Maria Sharapova’s first 30 minute instructional video for worldwide distribution (2007)