By Pat Haley
IMG Academy lacrosse program Coach
1. In Baggataway, the traditional Native American version of Lacrosse, each team consisted of anywhere from 100 to 1,000 men on a field that stretched from about 500 yards to a couple of miles long.
The game would last from sunup to sundown for two to three days straight. Participants took on the role of warriors, with the goal of bringing glory to themselves and their tribes. This game was played as part of ceremonial ritual to give thanks to the Creator, and was referred to as âThe Creators Game.â
2. The NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championship has the highest attendance of any NCAA Championship, outdrawing the Final Four of men's basketball. (football BCS championship game is not considered an NCAA Championship event)
3. The International Federation of Lacrosse Has 33 members, including countries such as Australia, England, Ireland, Germany, Japan, the Iroquois Confederacy, and Costa Rica.
4. Before Duke in 2010, the last team to win an NCAA Division 1 Championship that wasn't Virginia, Syracuse, Princeton, or Johns Hopkins was North Carolina in 1991.
5. Aside from Canada, there were at least 20 International players in NCAA Lacrosse last year, Mostly Hailing from England and Australia.