Hannah Yun, a 16-year-old Bradenton Prep graduate, led the University of Florida women's golf team to the SEC Championship at Tennessee National with a second-place finish.
Yun shot rounds of 73-70-72 for a 215 total, one behind Stacy Lewis of Arkansas. Yun previously trained at the David Leadbetter Golf Academy-Bradenton.
Florida's 54-hole team aggregate of 874 was 17 better than the Razorbacks. Yun and the Gators advance to the NCAA East Regional from May 8-10 at the University of Georgia Golf Club in Athens.
University of North Florida freshman Chris Kennedy tied for 10th as the Ospreys captured the Atlantic Sun Conference men's championship with a one-stroke victory over East Tennessee State at Chateau Elan Resort in Braselton, Ga. ETSU's Gareth Shaw was the individual medalist.
Kennedy, a Cardinal Mooney graduate who shot rounds of 72-73-74, is awaiting North Florida's NCAA regional assignment. The Lakewood Ranch resident was unable to defend his 2007 City of Sarasota Men's Amateur Championship title.
A scramble to benefit the Michaux Family Foundation will be held at 8:30 a.m. May 17 at IMG Academy Golf and Country Club. Proceeds go toward research on phenylketonuria (PKU), a metabolic disorder in which individuals are born without an enzyme necessary for processing a part of protein called phenylalanine (PHE).
Individuals with PKU cannot eat meat, fish, poultry, grain, dairy products and nuts, and high levels of PHE can affect brain development.
The entry fee is $125, which includes range balls, raffle tickets, a goodies bag and an awards luncheon. For details, call 758-1464.
• The Samaritan Counseling Services of the Gulf Coast will hold its second annual fundraising tournament at 8 a.m. May 9 at Heritage Oaks in Sarasota. The $125 player entry fee includes lunch and a silent auction. Contests will be held for closest to the pin, most accurate drive and putting. To register, call Mark Usher at 364-5658 or Ken Johns at 907-3100, ext. 1000.
• The seventh annual Manatee Chamber of Commerce Golf Classic is at 12:30 p.m. May 9 at Lakewood Ranch Golf & Country Club. Lunch and registration begin at 11 a.m. The entry fee for the scramble is $195 a player, which includes a lunch buffet, range balls and an awards buffet after play. Call Elba for information at 748-4842, ext. 122.
• The second annual Jody Friedman Golf Tournament is at 1 p.m. May 22 at Bradenton Country Club. Proceeds benefit the Jody Friedman Memorial Scholarship Fund. The $125 entry fee includes dinner after the tournament. Call 792-4159 for information.
Holes in one
• On April 24 at Manatee County, Doug Cameron aced the 146-yard 12th hole with an 8-iron. Witnesses were Dino Dunsford, Glen Laird and Ray Wenn.
• On April 28 at Heather Hills, Doris Libesay aced the 116-yard 13th hole with a 5-wood. Witnesses were Roger Goodhue and Ruth Trainor.
• At River Run, Sandy Czerkies aced the 99-yard 17th hole with a 5-iron. Witnesses were Roger Czerkies, Robert Dykstra and Phyliss Dykstra.
• At River Run, Tom Halliwell aced the 130-yard 14th hole with a 9-iron. Witnesses were Norm Arrentos, Frank Sheehan and Dean Bender.